- Online entry: 2017 Hippocrates Open and Health Professional Awards
- Rules: 2017 Hippocrates Prize Open & NHS entries
- Online entry for 2017 Hippocrates Young Poets Prize for Poetry and Medicine
- Rules: 2017 Hippocrates Young Poet Prize entries
- Payment for 2017 Hippocrates Prize entries
Entries are open for the 2017 Hippocrates Prize for Poetry and Medicine.
The 2017 Hippocrates Awards are being organised by the Hippocrates Initiative in partnership with the Arts and Humanities Initiative of Harvard Medical School.
The 2017 Hippocrates Poetry and Medicine Symposium and Awards will be held on Saturday 6th May 2017 at Harvard Medical School. There will be a pre-Symposium Poetry Workshop at the Boston Museum of Fine Art on the evening of Friday 5th May 2017.
The Hippocrates awards comprise
– the Young Poets Prize and commendations
– the Open Award with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd Prize and 20 commendations
– the Health Professional Award for Health Professional-related staff and Health Professional students from anywhere in the world: a 1st, 2nd and 3rd Prize and 20 commendations
Deadline for all award categories: 12 midnight on 14th February, 2017.
Judges for 2017 International Open and Health Professional Awards: Neal Baer, Harvard-trained American paediatrician and producer of ER; Pulitzer-Prize winning poet Jorie Graham; Jackie Kay, Scottish Makar (National Poet Laureate; and Professor Owen Lewis, New York, USA (see details below). The 2017 Hippocrates Young Poets Judge will be judged by poet Maya Catherine Popa, New York City, USA.
Awards date: Saturday 6th May 2017 at Harvard Medical School, Cambridge MA, USA
The Hippocrates awards comprises the Young Poets Prize, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd Prize and 20 commendations in each of the Open and NHS categories and further commendations in the Young Poets Award. In its first 6 years, the Hippocrates Prize has attracted over 7000 entries from 61 countries, from the Americas to Fiji and Finland to Australasia.
The winning poems and commendations in Hippocrates Open, NHS and Young Poets Awards will be published in the annual Hippocrates Prize Anthology.
With a prize fund of £500 for the Young Poets Award and £5500 for winning poems in the Open International category and NHS category, the Hippocrates Prize is one of the highest value poetry awards in the world for a single poem.
The Hippocrates Awards are in three categories:
- a £1000 first prize, £500 second prize and £250 third prize in the Open category, which anyone in the world may enter;
- a £1000 first prize, £500 second prize and £250 third prize in the Health Professional category, which is open to Health Service employees, health students and those working in professional organisations anywhere in the world involved in education and training of health professional students and staff;
- a £500 prize for the Young Poets category in the international Hippocrates Prize for an unpublished poem in English on a medical theme. Entries are open to young poets from anywhere in the world aged 14 to 18 years.